Susan Brown’s services are primarily focused on state taxation, including significant state tax compliance experience, experience managing state tax audits, and assisting companies with the design and implementation of state tax planning projects. Susan has over 24 years experience serving large multi-national corporations, including 16 years of Big 4 public accounting firm experience. To assist in further evaluating Susan’s capabilities, the following is a list of projects/services she has performed:
- Tax Compliance: Susan has experience preparing and reviewing partnership, corporate Federal and state tax returns. Susan has managed nearly all aspects of the state tax compliance process, including state tax return review, quarterly estimated calculations and extension calculations. Most recently, she managed the state tax compliance process for a Fortune 500 company during the previous two compliance cycles. During this engagement, she also managed the preparation and review of amended state tax returns.
- State Tax Audit: Susan has managed all aspects of state tax audits, including development of audit plan, IDR response, negotiation and resolution of issues, and evaluation of settlement options.
- Design and Implementation of State Tax Planning Projects: Susan has assisted Fortune 500 companies with the implementation of state tax planning projects, including corporate reorganizations. Susan has extensive experience assisting companies with corporate reorganizations, including the non-tax issues associated with a corporate reorganization (i.e., she is comfortable working with clients’ accounting, risk management, treasury, information systems, human resources, legal and payroll departments as well as clients’ outside legal counsel and payroll processors).
- Federal and State Credits: Susan has documented, and obtained Federal and State approval where applicable, including Research & Development, Fuels Tax and Work Opportunity Tax credits.
- Federal and State Tax Research: Susan is experienced in conducting Federal and state tax research and has served clients in numerous industries including financial services, telecom, real estate, retail, and manufacturing.
- Project Management Services: Susan has led numerous projects which demonstrates her project management skills, her ability to work as a consultant within a tax department, and her ability to seamlessly interact with corporate finance, treasury and accounting departments. Susan has led numerous implementations involving corporate reorganizations to reduce state taxes.
Susan’s most recent engagement was WestRock Company. In addition, Susan has over 16 years of Big 4 work experience between her time spent with Ernst & Young, LLP and Deloitte Tax, LLP.
Susan is a graduate of the Georgia Institute of Technology and obtained a Masters of Taxation from Georgia State University.