Cindy Brown is an experienced tax professional with significant expertise in Federal, State, and International tax compliance, tax accounting, transfer pricing, audit defense, research, M&A, and project management. She has practiced at large and mid-sized multinational corporations and Big 4 public accounting firms. Her experience enables her to work well in a corporate tax department and partner well with other departments, foreign affiliates, and other stakeholders. To help you further evaluate her abilities, the following list includes projects/services that Cindy has performed:
1. Federal, State, and International tax compliance: Cindy has extensive experience with Federal, State, and International tax compliance, including large multi-entity consolidated Federal returns, single and combined State returns, and local statutory and U.S. reporting for multiple foreign jurisdictions (including preparation and review of Forms 1118, 5471, 8858 and 8865). She also was responsible for researching and documenting tax return positions.
2. International Tax: Cindy has broad and significant experience in International Tax including preparing and reviewing detailed International related calculations such as Foreign Tax Credits, Subpart F income, Section 956 inclusions, Section 987 gains and losses, 986(c) gains and losses, and E&P calculations. She was responsible for coordinating with foreign affiliates and local country service providers. Further International experience includes evaluating permanent establishment exposure and nonresident filing requirements, FATCA and other withholding tax issues as well as completing foreign bank account reporting requirements (“FBAR”).
3. Tax Accounting: Cindy’s experience includes preparing and reviewing domestic and foreign income tax provisions, deferred tax accounts, tax account reconciliations, effective tax rate calculations and reconciliations, provision-to-return true ups, unremitted earnings calculations, evaluating the need for any reserves and assistance with documenting uncertain tax positions, and assistance with financial statement footnotes. She also was responsible for monitoring the impact of law changes on a quarterly basis.
4. Transfer Pricing: Cindy has extensive experience updating global transfer pricing documentation, gathering required information for Country by Country Reporting (“CBCR”), and monitoring BEPS requirements for numerous countries with respect to master files, local files, and required notifications. Her experience includes evaluating intercompany transactions and working with legal and third party providers to ensure intercompany agreements and required documentation is complete.
5. Audit Defense: During her time in industry, Cindy worked to defend a multi year IRS audit as well as several state income and sales and use tax audits. She was responsible for responding to all information document requests (“IDRs”) and working directly with the agents to negotiate settlements.
6. Mergers & Acquisitions: Cindy’s experience includes research and documentation of all U.S. and foreign tax implications of various mergers, acquisitions, transactions and corporate reorganizations.
7. Research: Cindy’s experience includes researching, documenting and advising on the tax impact of potential corporate tax reform.
8. Sales & Use Tax and Property Tax: Cindy has indirect tax compliance experience working with various departments to gather information and reviewing various tax returns. She also analyzed various transactional taxes that could be triggered as a result of corporate reorganizations.
9. Tax Experience as a Director: Cindy was responsible for the management and direction for all aspects of compliance and planning for Federal, State, and International tax. She was responsible for implementing processes and procedures to support tax optimization strategies.
10. Project management: Cindy’s strong project management skills have been applied to coordinating with foreign affiliates in over 40 countries to implement a global transfer pricing agreement as well as various special projects and Company initiatives requiring collaboration with multiple departments and third party service providers.
Cindy has over 23 years of tax experience, including 18 years of leadership experience. Her former employers include: Brand Energy & Infrastructure Services, Solvay Pharmaceuticals, Ernst & Young, and Deloitte & Touche.
Cindy earned her Bachelors in Accountancy with a Tax Emphasis and then her Masters in Tax from the University of Mississippi.